LED Brake light conversion for a 1993 Triumph Tiger (version IV)

So, a few years after version 1, I have now completed my 4th iteration of this idea.

Version 2, was more 5mm LED’s like the 1st, but was unreliable.  Version 3 used the same LED’s as version 4 but with a 556 timer as in version 1.  Version 3 got very hot – so hot in fact it started to smoke.

This version is an interim version as it still gets too hot on full brightness.  Fortunately, the brake light only requires a fraction of the maximum output, so is perfectly useable for long periods of time.

New for version IV is the 12F675 PIC Micro Controller.  This was my first dabble with Micro controllers and I am hooked.  The reason for the change is that the PIC can do PWM like the 556 timer, but with less circuitry.  It also enables me to modify the brightness of the output without the need for me to take the cover off and adjust variable resistors (and it can also do 0-100% duty cycle).  This is the source code for the PWM and the control on the 675 chip.  Todo: Add watchdog timer support and maybe add option to reduce brightness steps.  Having looked at some PWM code on the net, I decided to create my PWM code from scratch.   I did try a 2 timer approach, but found that a single timer worked better for me.

Continue reading LED Brake light conversion for a 1993 Triumph Tiger (version IV)

All-in-One Fix for HTML Content Synced to iCal or Outlook’s Calendar

This is a simple plugin I wrote to help out a colleague who looks after TVAM.  A lot of their calendar entries contain HTML content which renders horrendously in iCal and Microsoft’s Calendar application.  I made an enquiry on the developer’s website regarding the implementation of stripping HTML tags from events synced with desktop calendars and was informed this would be a chargeable customisation and not a bug fix (we had a little chuckle about that).  Given their time frame was at least a month to even look at the problem and that I wasn’t going to be parting with any cash to fix a bug, I figured how hard can it be to make a plugin to fix the problem…  Well, a few hours later, I have written my first WordPress plugin that does exactly what I need.

Many thanks to Jon Abernathy, aka Chuggnutt over at chuggnutt.com who saved me a lot of time with his HTML to Text class.  It was the second class I tried, and the better of the two by a good margin.

Having fixed the problem myself, I imagine that Timely will fix the problem in an upcoming release.  Until then, this is the support page for this plugin.  If you have any issues or requests, post them here and I will try my best to get back to you with an answer.

The plugin can be downloaded here.

People who have already subscribed to your calendar may need to re-subscribe to clear out the old HTML content.